Blog - Richard Geres Personal Training - Weight-Loss, Fitness, Research
Fri, 10 March 2017
FREE 12-Week Weight-Loss Programme for Men!
Are you a male, aged over 35 years old, and have high cholesterol, and/or high blood pressure and/or high triglycerides (fat in the blood) and/or high blood sugar (zokkor) and are overweight?
Then we'd like to have you on our programme!
We are offering a 12-week, COMPLETELY FREE weight-loss programme to a group of around 40 men, as part of a scientific study to determine what positive effect weight-loss through diet and/or exercise can have on blood cholesterol, blood sugar, triglycerides and blood pressure.
The scientific literature is clear about this:
A healthier diet and regular exercise improve cholesterol levels, lower triglycerides, lower blood sugar and lower blood pressure. We just want to reproduce these results in our study!
Our study group will be divided into 3 groups:
GROUP 1: Following a supervised nutrition programme only
GROUP 2: Following a supervised exercise programme only (3 times per week)
GROUP 3: Following a supervised diet programme AND a supervised exercise programme.
Duration of the Study: 12 weeks + 1 week for assessments
Programme start: Mid April 2017
Programme finish: Mid July 2017
To qualify as a suitable test subject for this particular study, you must be diagnosed with at least 3 of the following conditions :
- Waist circumference over 94cm/37 inches (measured at belly-button - not your trouser size!)
- Triglycerides over 1.7mmol/L, or receiving medication for triglycerides
- HDL cholesterol below 1.0mmol/L
- Blood pressure above 130/85 or receiving medication for blood pressure
- Elevated fasting glucose (blood sugar), 5.6mmol/L or higher, or receiving medication for elevated blood sugar or diabetes
Conditions for participation
- You will be asked to provide a medical certificate from your doctor, certifying that you are cleared for physical exercise.
- You must agree to undergo a blood test at the beginning and end of the 12-week programme (blood samples will be taken by a Doctor or qualified Nurse)
- If you are in the Exercise group, you must attend at least 33 out of 36 exercise sessions (during evenings) for your data to be valid for the study. Exercise sessions will take place in the evening from 6pm onwards. Exact times and days of sessions will be agreed before commencement of the course.
- If you are in the diet group, you must agree to follow all eating recommendations to the best of your ability. You must also agree to meet your nutrition advisor once every 2 weeks (7 meetings in total).
- You are encouraged to complete the 12-week programme, so that your data can be utilised for the evaluation of the study, however you are under no obligation to stay on the programme if you do not want to, and you can quit at any time without need for justification.
- You cannot choose in which group you will be placed (you will be randomly selected to a group).
This programme normally costs over EUR800.00, but you will get it completely for free in this case, because it is part of a Master's Degree Research Project, conducted by Richard Geres, in conjunction with the University of Surrey, UK, Faculty of Health & Medical Sciences.
This programme can significantly improve your health and well-being, as long as you are willing to follow our instructions!
Supervised Exercise ProgrammeOur exercise programme will be adapted to suit your level of fitness, however low it may be, and you will only be expected to exert yourself to safe, moderate levels, according to guidelines by the American College of Sports-Medicine (ACSM) . Every exercise session will be fully supervised by a certified Personal Trainer. You will be exercising in a small group of 6-8 people. It is however important that you attend regularly for your data to be included in the final analysis. If you miss more than a few sessions, you will be asked to leave the programme, as you will no longer be meeting the criteria of the study.
Supervised Nutrition programmeIf you are selected to follow our nutrition programme, you will receive private (One-to-One) nutrition counselling, where you will be provided with simple recommendations as to how to improve your meals. Meetings will be held every 2 weeks for a 12-week duration (7 meetings). These meetings will help to discuss questions and issues you may face, and they will make it easier for you to stay on track. You will not be required to follow a drastic diet, and you will be able eat most 'normal' foods in moderation.
Closing dateIf you would like to sign up for the programme, please click the link below, and enter your details in the form that appears. Closing date for applications is the 27th March, but once we reach 40 applications, we will close the application process early. Therefore apply early to avoid being left out.
Application does not guarantee participation in the programme. You will be screened during an initial interview, to evaluate if you meet the conditions required for this particular study.
Please only apply if you are a Man, over 35 years of age with at least 3 cardiovascular risk factors as described above.
 International Diabetes Federation (IDF) 2009 classification of Metabolic Syndrome
 ACSM's Guidelines for Exercise Testing and Prescription